Aren’t sure how to cook a whole chicken? Try these recipes:
Easy Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole fryer chicken, giblets removed
- 3 TBSP salt (I use kosher salt)
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 4 TBSP Italian Seasoning (or any flavor you like, ie: Cajun, Blackened, Jerk, etc)
- a few TBSP olive oil
2. After rinsing the inside of the chicken, salt the cavity a little.
3. With two fingers, loosen the skin from the breasts, and thighs of the chicken, and anyplace else you can get your fingers underneath.
4. Rub seasoning between the skin and the meat. Rub Olive Oil on the outside of the skin.
5. Place in a roasting pan with a rack. If you don’t have a roasting pan, use any baking dish with carrots layered on the bottom for the “rack.”
6. Place in the oven and cook according to the chart below, until a meat thermometer read 180 to 185 degrees.
2-1/2 to 3 lbs: 375 degrees for 1 to 1-1/4 hours
3-1/2 to 4 lbs: 375 degrees for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours
4-1/2 to 5 lbs: 375 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours
5 to 6 lbs: 325 degrees for 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 hours
7. Use the leftovers in casseroles, soups, chicken salad, enchiladas, chicken tacos, the possibilities are endless. You can also freeze the leftovers for convenient cooked chicken any time you need it!
How do you like to cook a whole chicken?
Add your comment by visiting the High Country Mom Squad, (Click Here) then click “Post a Comment” at the very bottom of this post. When the comment page comes up, type your comment, then click “Nickname” or “Anonymous,” and publish your comment.